Inscribed: Presented / To Mr. John Kirby / by the OFFICERS of the ROYAL NAVY, on Lake Ontario./ As a Mark of their Esteem & Regard, / and lasting sense of his / distinguished Hospitality./ 1816At the end of the 1812-14 War, fought between Britain and the United States of America, the British navy withdrew from the Great Lakes. Naval officers marked their departure in a personal way with the presentation of this magnificent engraved cup to John Kirby (1772-1846), Kingston businessman. It acknowledged “his distinguished Hospitality”, something for which he was well known. A native of Knaresborough, Yorkshire, John Kirby was raised in Ticonderoga, New York. Young John arrived in Kingston, Upper Canada, in 1796 to join his sister Ann (1770-1850) and her husband Robert Macaulay (1744-1800) and to work in Robert’s trading business. At Robert’s death in 1800, John and his sister assumed joint control of the business, known as John Kirby and Company. This partnership was dissolved in 1817, when Ann’s son John took over the Macaulay interests. John Kirby’s business concerns were extensive, including the export and import of goods, land speculation, banking and steamships. Kirby was extremely active in the Kingston community particularly in educational and healthcare projects. He served as a member of the Legislative Council for ten years, was active in the local militia and served as a judge in the Midland District Assizes.